Monday, February 1, 2010

Cherry blossoms at Nakijin Castle

photo courtesy of my friend, Courtney.


Moving often & living far away is the life we know as a military family. We have lived in & seen so many different places I feel it's not fair to complain. Even with all the memories & experiences we have, sometimes I do get sad thinking of old friends, familiar places, etc. That is why I am so happy to have met some really awesome girls here. It's hard to find people you connect w quickly but I am grateful to have found them. It's also pretty uncommon that all your husbands are gone at the right exact moment in time, when the planets align & you can plan some outing w this wonderful group of friends.

Ryan was set up to go on a trip but was taken off. Then he was on alert for an air medical evacuation which are ongoing here all the time. I was hoping he wouldn't go bc I wanted us to see the cherry blossoms. But life has a way of reminding you to be thankful & that my husband has a job that, from time to time, is beyond my selfish wants. Ryan's mission did go & he was sent to pick up a tiny baby, fighting for her life in Guam, & bring her back here. But that's another story...

I mentioned to my mom that I had wanted to see the cherry blossoms but wasn't feeling very confident going alone & she mentioned, Why don't you see if any of your friends are going? Friends? That's right. I guess I do have some friends, I thought. So I did just that.Four women, 2 pregnant, & 6 kids under the age of 4.

Even after all the hassles of this day (I mean from my angelic children) I am still so glad we got to do this w our new friends. I couldn't have imagine how beautiful the cherry blossoms were & even tho I was disappointed Ryan missed it, I'm really glad I got to be there. We intended to go to a festival but couldn't seem to find it so we ended up heading up the mountain to the Nakijin Castle ruins, where there were tons of cherry blossom trees & a beautiful view of the ocean. It was amazing! I don't think I really got to enjoy it when we were there as I was too involved w Stop jumping, No running, Watch out, Don't step in the water, Get down from there... But looking back at the pictures it was totally worth it. This one especially bc I think some of our faces say it all!

My pictures aren't as good as my friend's, since she has a super fancy camera w lots more picture taking knowledge than me. But the images are still beautiful...The kids walking up the stone path.
A little bee.

5 comments:

  1. I think your pictures are beautiful! So glad for new friends too :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are stunning! I showed them to Katherine (my four-year-old) and she's suddenly excited about moving to Japan. It sounds like you had an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that your friend in blue was you at first. hehe. You look a lot alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Janell, the picture must be very deceiving! She is about your size so clearly I will be taking this as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, not sure when they bloom on the mainland. I know we get it earlier here... Janell, my sister in law would know. She lived there for 3 years. I can't wait to go back & see them again next year. And I hope we find the festival too bc that's where all the people are dressed up!

    ReplyDelete