Saturday, February 27, 2010

Never a dull moment.

So this morning about 6 am we were woken from a dead sleep by an earthquake! This is, I think, the 3rd we've had since we moved here but by far, the most memorable.
The first one was very small & short & sort of exciting. It happened one Fri night during movie night. The second I only heard about from my stateside friends. It seems they get way more info than we do! Here's a youtube link for the one we had last night.
http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFU9XHexUUE
When it began I woke up & sat up in the bed. Ryan was still dead asleep & I said, I think that's an earthquake!! He got up & went in to get Mimi bc somehow, earlier, Oliver had made his way in the middle of our bed. I finally told Oliver he had to get up bc there was no way I could lift him & he was just sitting there! We went into the bathroom & stood in the doorway until it ended, just sort of standing there & looking at each other. I wasn't really scared but I was concerned bc it lasted long enough to cause me to think, I wonder what we should do?! I was surprised how long it lasted & how odd it felt. Oliver was totally thrilled & said he thought it was a meteor shower! We let the kids lay in the bed w us, but after that, there was no real sleeping for the them. I ended up going to Mimi's bunk just to try & get a few more minutes of sleep since I was planning to get up & meet some girlfriends for my first Okinawan pedicure!
After I had gotten up & gotten ready, I had just come down the stairs to leave & found Mimi w her bottle of antibiotics (for an ear infection) from the fridge. I realized she had somehow gotten the lid off & drank almost the whole bottle! I couldn't believe it! Darn bubble gum flavoring! So today we learned the number for poison control & also that there is only one person who mans that line. Once you get thru to him, he takes all your information, he then calls poison control in San Diego, CA to find out what you should do! Don't get me started on how ridiculous a system this is. In the end, he called back to tell us she was fine, just might have some vomiting, etc. None of which has happened. Lucky girl.
With all that, I was still able to meet my girlfriends & make our 9am pedicure apt! For all of you who have lived here, it's time to reminisce. Cocok's is the place to go! I was the last of my friends to finally come here & now I plan to make it back monthly! It is a wonderful hour & a half experience w an oil massage, hot towels, yummy cold tea & an ocean view. I didn't bring my camera (I didn't have time to remember to get it out of my bag as we were all a little frazzled trying to get there on time) but I did take a picture of my toes after! Now I wouldn't normally just take a picture of my feet, no explanation needed, but this, you must see!
After our apt, I had my bi monthly chiro apt, which I always look fwd to with mixed feelings. Yes, it is helpful & the only way to sort out my hip/back/neck issues. But no, I don't enjoy paying around $60 (w the exchange rate) for about 10 minutes of this guy's time.
After that, Ryan was ready for a full day out! He has had a really long week w a work exercise & has literally only seen his office or the house all week long. I'm not really sure he even saw much sunshine. Somehow he talked me into lunch & then the zoo!

Oliver cannot take a normal picture these days. He always strikes some weird pose or throws up the peace sign, in true Japanese style.

Oliver had been to the zoo w his class for a field trip but this was our first time to go. Some parts were nice, but some parts a little depressing as some of the animals seemed sad & stuck in pretty small cages. It was very different to any zoo I'd been to in the states. Instead of trying to make the surroundings seem natural for the animals they were pretty bare. Probably our favorite thing we saw was the bats! These bats were huge & furry & lively! There was one in particular we spent probably 10 minutes just looking at! It was very interested in us too!

Mimi hangs out w the bat!
What do you think this sign is trying to tell us??? I'll give you a hint. It is between the tiger & lion cages. I'm still lost too...
Here's me, 29 wks, sweltering in the Okinawan sun & humidity.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun!!! It was so hot that day I'm impressed you went to the zoo!!!

    ReplyDelete