Thanks so much to my sister in law, Janell, who told me what these little yummies are called after I posted this blog! I'm so glad she got to live in Japan for 3 yrs bf us bc she gives me all the low down! For those of you who want to read more about taiyaki here's a link!
Ok, time for my weekly farmer's market rave. I know you must be tired of hearing about this... but I LOVE the market.
So every time we go to any grocery, the kids know we are suckers for letting them choose something. At the farmer's market there are a couple of little stands outside of people selling different foods & now the kids always choose to have a custard fish. I always forget to take my camera w me, but I really wanted to get a picture of the stand & the people. They sell different things, poured into tiny shaped griddles. There are balls filled w something, small round cakes filled w something else & then fish. The fish are filled w custard or bean. The azuki bean is a popular filling for Japanese sweets. But really, it's an acquired taste & not all that sweet. At least not by Western standards. If you've ever been to a Japanese restaurant in the states & they have red bean ice cream, you might know what I mean. To me, it kind of tastes like a sweetened kidney bean.
I must say, these are really yummy. They taste like a waffle, crunchy on the outside & filled w custard on the inside. As Mimi says, they are super awesome!
I must admit, they actually look good :O) You are so brave to try all the new stuff! You need to peer pressure me into it :O)
ReplyDeletemmmm I love taiyaki.
ReplyDeleteTrisha, I LOVE your blog! I am soooo jealous of your trip to Cocok's, and I wish I had known about that market when I was there. I would love to explore it too. :) Your blog entries make me miss Oki! Hope all is well. Miss ya! Love, Pam :)
ReplyDeletehehe, let me know if you ever try the takoyaki too. (the balls made with octopus inside). We lived there for 4 years, and I miss it so much!
ReplyDelete