Tuesday, February 8, 2011

RMEC Thanksgiving program

I was really excited for this year's Thanksgiving program. I loved watching Oliver last year & I was excited to see what's he'd be doing this year, as well as what Mimi would be doing! We were also happy that gma Kaye & gpa Jim could be here to see the program. I was so proud that Oliver was going to be the narrator for the program skit. He is such an excellent reader & I love that the school gives the kids chances to highlight their strengths.
Both Oliver & Mimi's class were on 'stage' several times. There were songs, dances, etc. I couldn't wait to see what Mimi would be doing. I always loved seeing all the cute little girls dancing away in costumes & imagined Mimi would be just the same. Yeah, I was wrong. When she came out the first time I would tell something was up. The second she saw me she was acting strange. Then the music started up & she was covering her ears & not looking up at all! All her friends were singing & dancing & she stood there, dead center, not moving an inch. I thought something was wrong, I wondered what she was doing! Was she mad, sad, scared??? Who knows, but it was only to get worse.

At least the first time she came out, she showed some signs of life. She looked up a little, covered her ears, kind of moved back & forth. The second time she came out, she knew the drill & she wasn't into it. She stood, dead center again, w her arms just dangling at her sides. Her head was hung so far down I thought she might topple fwd but she just stood there! I honestly couldn't understand WHAT was wrong!

This had us all laughing so much, I think everyone was laughing w us by the end & she probably stole the show. Afterward she just told me she didn't want to do it. I asked her teacher WHY she had put her in the front row??? Apparently, Mimi had been a lot more energetic during rehearsals so it must have been a severe case of paralysing stage fright. No one could explain it. I seriously cannot explain how funny it was to sit & watch her friends singing & dancing while she sat there like stone! I will forever laugh when I look at this picture.

Oliver, I must say, was a natural born director. He read so well, as the narrator, & made sure all the kids were paying attention & following his cues. If someone crossed the stage before their time he'd say, I haven't even told you to go yet! Of course he had a microphone so you could hear every word he said, scripted & not.



Even tho he was pretty bossy I was so happy to see him do such a great job. The whole program was wonderful & we were so happy that Ryan's parents could be there to see it as well.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed OUT LOUD at that picture of Mimi! Too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words - word verification! Help a sister out!

    ReplyDelete