
I must say, celebrating 4th of July in Japan is well... not really the same. It's not like we can buy any fireworks, even tho there is a big display scheduled on base. We didn't grill out, which doesn't make a difference, we do that all the time. We didn't go to the pool/beach due to the newborn/scorching temperature situation. We didn't argue over whose family to spend it with bc well - there aren't any to argue over. This brings me to my point. It's things like holidays that make living in Japan, for me at least, well... not so great. I don't mean to complain. My Grandad always told me, Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the fact that I've practically been house bound since Elliot was born. Maybe it's the cold that has me sneezing & constantly blowing my nose for the last 3 days or the crick I've had in my neck for weeks from nursing. Maybe it's that Ryan will be going to work 4 out of the 4 intended holiday days this weekend. Whatever the reason, my mood is certainly soured. And since I now have your undivided attention, you may as well commit to take this ride w me or save yourself bc I have no idea where this mood is taking me.
Getting back to that gift horse thing.
I shouldn't complain about Japan, I do like it. When we first got here I even told Ryan we should consider extending. Hell, we actually chose to come here, we wanted to be here. We loved England so much & the traveling we did was amazing. We wanted to come here to let the kids experience another culture & be able to travel & to have a child here. Basically we got everything we asked for. So now, what's my problem? Homesickness. I feel homesick. And just so you know, I absolutely reserve the right to change my mind in a month or two & begin blogging all about how America stinks & I never want to go back there again. But for now, right now, right at this moment in time, I am secretly (or not so secretly) homesick. I hate the fact that we can't spend holidays w our friends & families. That my parents may not even see Elliot till he is 2. I know we chose to come here & like I tell Oliver, When you make a choice you change the future. Our immediate future is here so I'm going to choose to buck up & stop moaning. I'm going to choose to (again) wear a happy face, live in Japan & by God, like it.
By the way, all this got me thinking of what we've done for the past few years on the 4th so here comes the photo montage...
Not sure what we were doing in 2005. We would have been in England & there aren't any pictures around to remind me, but Oliver would have been about 4 months old.
4th of July 2006. Our first year in Derby, KS. We had just moved into our house less than 3 months before. Ryan was deployed. My parents came up & we watched the Derby parade. Oliver was hot & tired & I remember this was the only way he would sit. Any repositioning would certainly cause a meltdown. I also remember he was terrified of the fireworks & cried the whole time.

4th of July 2007. Mimi was just born a month before. Ryan was gone to Altus for training but he came home for the weekend. The only thing I really remember about this year was the paper lantern we lit & watched forever as it floated away into the night sky.
4th of July 2008. Mimi had just turned 1 & this is the best picture I have of her from this year! Really I put this picture in to remind me of how much hair she had! Ryan was again deployed & I went down to Tahlequah to spend the holiday w my dad, step mom & sisters.

We had a couple of days on the boat on the lake & I love this picture of Oliver.
4th of July 2009. I can't believe this was only last year bc it seriously feels like ages ago. Ryan was again deployed (is there a theme here??) so I was invited by our new friends to come to Nebraska w the kids. Kipper was one of Ryan's classmates at WIC. Little did we all know that his wife & I would become instant friends & spend a lot of time emailing back & forth while I was in Spokane w my 2 kids & she was in Nebraska w her 3. Kipper & Heather insisted I spend the 4th w them while Ryan was gone & for that, I was grateful. Their neighborhood had a block party & the kids did a little parade. It was definatley one of my favorite 4ths.
So I hope this Debbie Downer of a post didn't blow your holiday completely! I promise to be in a better mood next year. Promise.
Love all the old pictures :O) I may borrow your ideas!!! Hope you start to like Japan again soon :O) When my family leaves you will be forced to hang out with me which means manditory fun!!
ReplyDelete