At the stand where the kids get their taiyaki at the market I FINALLY decided to try the takoyaki. It seems odd to me that at the stand where they sell yummy little custard treats they ALSO sell this. Takoyaki. Little balls of batter filled w octopus! If it weren't for my sister in law, Janell, I wouldn't have even know what these were. And if it weren't for her telling me she liked them then I most likely would have never tried them. Well now I can tell her & you that I have done just that.

As we left the market we stopped at the stand for our usual - 2 taiyaki, custard please. If you are wondering what a taiyaki is, look for my older post under the label 'eating local'. As the woman was about to tell me how much I said, Oh & one takoyaki. She raised her eyebrows. Takoyaki? she asked. Hai! I said. Then she asked, You like sauce? And made a motion of swirling her hand around. Sauce? Sure, I like sauce. So I said, Hai, yes, sauce! She turned around to several bottles of condiments & then went to town. Then she handed the kids our sack.
Once we got home I opened up my little Japanese take out box. These are not without mention either. Unlike the sturdy Styrofoam we are used to in America, the Japanese pack their to gos in flimsy, tiny plastic boxes w only a thin rubber band to hold them together. I opened up my flimsy box & my first thought when I saw the mess before me - Awe, crap. There were all sorts of things on my takoyaki. Pretty much all of them unidentifiable. Sauce, flakes, dried meat potentially.
I'm glad I tried takoyaki. If I hadn't I would always wonder what it was like. Probably bc I heard Janell talk it up. I ate 1 & a half. That was about all I could do. Mostly bc I was trying to decide if I liked it. Mimi had one bite & then jumped around the kitchen saying, Yummy, yummy. When I asked if she wanted more she said no. Yeah, that's about how I felt too.
As we left the market we stopped at the stand for our usual - 2 taiyaki, custard please. If you are wondering what a taiyaki is, look for my older post under the label 'eating local'. As the woman was about to tell me how much I said, Oh & one takoyaki. She raised her eyebrows. Takoyaki? she asked. Hai! I said. Then she asked, You like sauce? And made a motion of swirling her hand around. Sauce? Sure, I like sauce. So I said, Hai, yes, sauce! She turned around to several bottles of condiments & then went to town. Then she handed the kids our sack.
Once we got home I opened up my little Japanese take out box. These are not without mention either. Unlike the sturdy Styrofoam we are used to in America, the Japanese pack their to gos in flimsy, tiny plastic boxes w only a thin rubber band to hold them together. I opened up my flimsy box & my first thought when I saw the mess before me - Awe, crap. There were all sorts of things on my takoyaki. Pretty much all of them unidentifiable. Sauce, flakes, dried meat potentially.
I'm glad I tried takoyaki. If I hadn't I would always wonder what it was like. Probably bc I heard Janell talk it up. I ate 1 & a half. That was about all I could do. Mostly bc I was trying to decide if I liked it. Mimi had one bite & then jumped around the kitchen saying, Yummy, yummy. When I asked if she wanted more she said no. Yeah, that's about how I felt too.

No comments:
Post a Comment