Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lovies

A long time ago I read about a neat thing to do if your kid had a lovie. This magazine suggested kind of immortalizing the lovie by having a picture made of it. Since both of my kids have pretty important lovies, I decided they really needed to be in our family photo album too.
Oliver & Sheepy. He was given Sheepy by Gramma Kaye & actually he's a character from a series of books. I don't remember when Oliver fell in love w Sheepy, but I do remember he went everywhere w us. He has been to several countries & one look can tell, he has been well loved. He has a burn mark on his face from Ireland. Oliver, about 9 months, threw up on him. I washed him in a hotel sink & then tried to dry him w a hair dryer. I held it on him too closely & burned his face. His fur is matted from endless nights of being snuggled. His insides that make him squishy are slowly falling out of loose seams from too many washings. Whenever I read the Velveteen Rabbit it makes me think of Oliver & Sheepy.


Mimi & Lili. Lili was a gift from Nana & she was hand crocheted. I say 'she' bc that's how Mimi refers to her. She told me one day, I call Lili her bc she's a girl. I don't know how the name Lili came about. It's not something we made up, Mimi started calling her this when she started to talk. Lili is gigantic & in the beginning, I would let Mimi bring her everywhere we went. It started to become a little ridiculous, having to lug around yards of yarn all the time, so I commissioned a smaller, more travel appropriate Lili from Nana. This is when we began to make a distinction between Big Lili & Little Lili. After a few months, Nana was horrified to see how much Little Lili had been loved & took it upon herself to make yet another, Little Lili. Somehow this one ended up looking more like a scarf. And then, awhile later we ended up w our 4th Lili. She is the only one made from a different yarn & all pink. These days we call her Car Lili bc it's easier to keep her there. Big Lili is by far the favorite.

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute and such a great idea :O) Love their little personalities shining through!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet, I wish my kids had lovies. How did you get them to like one particular thing? I try to get Isla to love this one doll, but she doesn't really seem to care. Kainoa either. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea. I need to do that with Jackson. Your house has some great light.

    ReplyDelete